Monday, September 27, 2010

Tackling the mess...

Yeah, so whenever I go on vacation, I try to take the clothes the kids will outgrow (and those that they have already outgrown) so that I can leave them there and buy new ones.
This year, on account of a huge slash in the weight limit allowed on the airline of our choice, most of such stuff was distributed here only. The more essential things were packed. It was only when I was at the Airline counter, that I was told that the weight limit is still the same (ARGH!). Point to remember for future visits.
See, living abroad, we do not have the luxury of having storerooms (or storage) in the aparetment we live in, so every space and nook and cranny needs to be optimized for maximum storage. Every vacation trip means new stuff bought back from home, and for it to go in those storage spaces (optimized!!) something better come out.
Thus, another sorting needs to be done after vacations, as there are clothes that the kids have outgrown DURING the vacations and there are things that my husband and I no longer can wear (due to various reasons, from fashion to weight [less said, the better])...
So back at it ... the season will change again soon hopefully, we will get to use the woolies this year (unlike last year, when they were all taken out and put right back in after 2 months in anticipation of chilly winds without them being touched). There will be a debate in various gatherings on whether we get to see winter or not, as the mercury here has been consistent now as it was before the summer break.
My kids (as per the cartoon above) are brilliant at occupying small open and empty spaces with their stuff, in rooms other that their own, as their own room does not provide them the luxury of small open and empty spaces. For this they look towards me, and I oblige them once a month. My son is a bookworm and he has taken after me to read books and pile them up one upon the other, where they can tip and spill over with the slightest touch. Sigh!
I know I have a clean side to me as well, why couldnt he have taken after me that way! Now as I prepare my tools of the trade (empty cartons, empty shopping bags), wish me luck! I'm getting serious!

No comments: