Sunday, October 17, 2010

How goes ? Neeyah

asalam alaikum wa rehmatullah wa barakatuhu,
        I finally sit in front of the computer in the morning, hoping to write a blog. As I get the topic and words in my mind, I decide to open the newspaper and read it. For more than a month now, some news or the other comes into view that makes me feel that probably bad people are winning once again. So I just drop the idea of writing the blog, as I am sure to mention that someone or the other (from that news). This is something I dont want to do.
        It is said that ignorance is bliss. I still havent come to terms with how so and why it is this way! Sometimes see, you just have to know something... and if you dont know it, it will keep nagging you. It will be like a scab that you will want to pick little by little, till you see that new skin underneath and smile or break the skin and bleed. Knowledge will either get you happiness or sorrow - it has to be one or the other.
       What I want to say is that I'd like to ignore that news item, and not write there and then, as it is bound to end up in my blog.
       Take today for instance, the principal of a school has asked the teachers working there not to get pregnant. I'd like to imagine my boss saying that to me, but I can;t do that, my bosses have not been such control freaks. They however have always wanted to know well in advance, if I was pregnant and when is the expected due date, so as to get a replacement handy while I take a maternity leave.
       My two pregnancies have led to two wonderful babies and a move to another country (so far - both times), so even when I try to put myself in the shoes of those teachers who got to hear that, I cant. I'm glad I dont work in that school though.
       Lets see, one good thing I learnt from both my teachers from both my classes last year was the renewal of intention or Niyah. Deeds are rewarded on their intention, for example, if I intend to be kind to my child, I get reward for it and if I am ACTUALLY kind to my child, I will get 10 times the reward. Reward of a good deed gets to be from 11 for one intention to as much as Allah wants to give. How cool is that!
        My teachers told us to renew our neeyah (neeyat) or intention each morning we come to class, that we are doing this for Allah SWT. SubhanAllah it made so much sense, because when something becomes a routine like classes every week, same day, same time, you tend to weaken your resolve and some other intention creeps in, like Im doing it because I get to meet so-and-so or because I get to obtain such-and-such. The purity of intention is key here for the multiplicity of reward.
         So each time we pray salah, we have to do the neeyah, and even if it is 5 times a day or more... imagine the sawab / reward you are getting just by doing the neeyah alone.
      SubhanAllah. Allah gives and forgives. Man gets and forgets.
ma asalama.

No comments: