Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chicken Fajita Wraps

asalam alaikum,
     My husband wanted me to make him some Chicken Fajita, so that we can clean out some more of the fridge before we leave for the Summer break and also because he sort of liked it.
    Anyways, after making him ask me for it a couple of days, I finally started it two days ago.
    We had it last night and it turned out good enough for me to have 4 (yeah!!! I wanted one only). If you want a light summery easy to put together food, go for this. I didn't stop to take a picture of the wraps as I was hungry, so try and imagine it in your head. Without further ado, here goes...

Chicken Fajita Wraps (with a healthy twist - sans cheese)
Ingredients for Marination:
   4 skinless, boneless chicken breast pieces, slice widthwise in twos
   1 tbsp dried oregano
   1/4 cup olive oil
   2 tbsp lemon juice
   1/2  - 1 tsp cayanne pepper (to suit your taste)

   Put all these in a plastic ziplock or sealable bag and leave in the fridge (min 8 hours - max 2 days)

Ingredients for Wraps:
   Tortillas ( I used normal chapatti pack as not only it is convenient, it is much cheaper and you can get the white or the brown ones). Try the flat bread, if none is available or make your own roti at home.
   Sour Cream
   Your choice of salad leaves, I used iceberg lettuse, try romaine or whatever you prefer.
   Tomato, thinly sliced in arcs
   Onion, thinly sliced in arcs
   Pepper, red or green, thinly sliced lenghtwise
   Avocado, thinly sliced lenghwise (ever since I found out this is one thing good for making the belly flat, I cant get enough of avocados) or make guacamole (dont buy this, the storebought version is not only pricey, it tasted blah plus it has cheese in it - for no rhyme or reason)
   Jalapeno pepper, sliced - to taste
   Hot sauce (some like it hot!!) - I sadly didnt have it yesterday.
   Olives, green or black, sliced - We were out of these also
   Fresh Cilantro / Coriander, finely chopped (the secret MUST HAVE ingredient)
   Grated cheddar cheese - if you want to, I didnt!

Get cooking!!!
  1- Grill chicken on both sides, till cooked in a little oil. Set aside to cool and then slice lenghwise.
  2- Warm the roti/chappatti/tortilla on a flat pan or tawa on both sides.
  3- Spread it with sour cream. sprinkle with salad leaves.
  4- Top with chicken, pepper, onion, tomato, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, olives, or your choice of veggies and cheese if you are using it.
  5- Drizzle with hot sauce, wrap over to make a semi-circle. Serve.    

A pack of about 10 tortilla/chapattis are enough for 4 people

No comments: