Friday, February 09, 2007

I like it ... SHREDDED!

For those of you who dont know, I hate throwing things away. Call me a hoarder, but seriously, my husband stopped making fun of me, when we recently moved from one country to the other, and I had the packing for everything we had bought, and we got all the things delivered, without a single crack in them (which is an achievement, as we have tons of breakable stuff). Alhamdolillah.

Anyways, I think I picked this habit from my father. He was not a hoarded, but he had loads and loads of paperwork and once or twice a year, he would sit down and sort the papers out. THEN, came the fun part, everything had to be thrown away after being torn to bits, as there were a lot of important information on those papers.

I used to wait until he had sorted all the unimportant papers out and then we two would sit down and tear the pages to shreds and then compete and see who got the smallest bit or who could tear more pages together (I got to win the first one and he the second one :) )

Then, he got a shredder for his office. It was a huge machine, and you put the papers in and out came long thin strips. I loved doing that.

Wait time for a joke.

A Major saw a General standing next to a shredder scratching his chin. He went up to him and asked, Sir, may I help you. The General said, this is a very important paper, so I came to tend to it myself, but I cant figure out how to use it. The Major said, I can help with it. He took the paper and ran it in the shredder. The General said, " Good, now make two copies of it".

*****************************

Anyways, when I started doing all the crafts, I came across Quilling. The only problem was that the strips werent available in the market in the city i was in, so I had to cut them all out with a paper cutter. It was long, tedious and hard work. So I saw this office shredder in the book store and I wanted it. The problem was that it was too expensive.

Now, today, we went to this shop looking for a costume for my son (magician) and I happened to see a small desk shredder. I got it.

Now my son and I are going to fight over who gets to shred the receipts :D

Another family tradition passed down the generation....