Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mint Chocolate... Dark Chocolate

Its been some time since I last had the pleasure of having a decent Mint Chocolate ( I will not count the Basking Robins mint choc scoop, as the Swiss Mix tasted far better).

Ever since I can remember, I have liked chocolate and I have loved Mint. For years, it was always this flavor that I'd pick, be it candles, scented pencils, lip gloss, chewing gum, cake (count mint out of this one). It was only once when I happened to eat a chocolate while I was having a Mint that it dawned on me, WOW, this tastes great!

Seems that someone else also had the same idea and marketed After Eights (another fav).

Who doesnt like Chocolate? Wait, dont tell me, coz that person has to be boring! But then again, Im being judgemental! I know a LOT of people who dont like chocolate and prefer banana instead (and no i dont know any monkeys personally, but some people remind me of a chimp nonetheless)... Its a blessing in disguise and more so, if such persons happen to be in your immediate family, coz you can then have THEIR share of chocolates also (and yeah they can have all the banana gum they like).

My aunt would always bring chocolates from abraod whenever she'd come to visit and I used to love helping her make mixed packets of them, Mars, Bounty, Snickers, Kit Kat were a staple, with some others added time and again.

Once, I caught her having a chocolate in the room, but it wasnt any of the versions mentioned above, it was a Hersheys Kisses. Oh my, she looked at me and reluctantly handed over the last bit. It tasted heavenly. And I was hooked.

unfortunately, at that point in time, this brand was not available in the local markets, so I made do with the local jubilee or bunties or chocochum.

THEN, my father went abroad for some work, several times in a year to Europe and each time, he used to come home with huge bags of Imported Chocolates. He has spent all his cash on chocolates and sweets. Among them was Tobleron (the giant sized one) and Mint Chocolates and Orange Chocolate coins and chocolates shaped like Shells. And flavored chocolates, with marzipan, and nuts and you think of it and it was there. Not the regular kit kats and mars and snickers and bounty, but the really expensive and exclusive stuff.

Our deep freezer was filled to the TOP with large boxes of chocolates. Then my mom said, we have to divide them to the relatives and I said WHAT? I said I'll make the bags, and made them with all the sweets (like those of the Sweet Factory) I could get my hands on, but NOOOOOOOOOOO. MY father told me to take out all the large boxes and I said, no let me open a box and divide the stash inside it.

(I got to keep the Tobler)

My class had a ball as Id bring new varieties of chocos to the class everyday and share them with everyone (We were a class of 15 girls in college, so I didnt mind). What a show off I was!

I developed a taste for the Bitter Sweet version of Tobleron (the black box), so much so that in the month of ramazan, Id have sehri of tobler and Id break my fast with dates and after having all the regular iftari, Id eat a few more chunks of tobler. All ramazan!

I ate all the dark chocos too as others found them too bitter. And I was hooked.

The darker the better.

This happened years ago. A few years ago, I set my eyes on the last black tobler and havent seen any since. I dont like Hershey's Kisses that much now, I'd rather have the Dark Chocolate Nuggets.

THEN came Lindt DArk Chocolate. Bliss!

All was well till my husband started to like that flavor too. The result is that one 100g bar that used to last us about a week, now gets finished in 15 minutes, as we have started to munch on it like it is ordinary candy bar.

You need to savour dark chocolate and much more so with Mint Chocolates. Ah! That reminds me I havent had a Mint Chocolate in some time now... last time being when I had Mint flavored Kit Kat.

(Does Lindt come in Mint chocolate flavor?)