Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Memories of Saudia...


This picture was taken by my husband while I had gone shopping with my mom, and he was waiting in the car with the kids.
The place is the Suwaikat Street, Al-Khobar, Saudia and the time was some hot day in May, 2006.
We never took tourist pictures, so I dont have any of those to share.

I tried my best however to take a decent picture of the Kingdom Tower, Riyadh, but my mobile wasnt the best thing to take a great shot. It looks great at night (not the mobile, i mean the Tower)

Once we went to this city near Riyadh (near meaning about 200 km in the direction of Al Kharj), where a meteore fell once (two meteores actually) and created DEEP craters, almost a block in diameter. Water came out of there, and that was called two streams in arabic (I'll fill in this word, when i can recall what that word is :>). A pump of some sort was put in it later on, to supply water to the nearby houses.

This place is cordoned off but we went to see it anyways, as there is always a thrill in passing thru openings in fenced off areas :)

I couldnt see the bottom of the pit from the top, my husband went down some way and got a better look. There were birds living inside that crater, and one part of it was caving in, the water had almost dried up.

These are the pictures that i had left. Ist one shows the view as far below as i could see, 2nd shows the view from one of the edges, and you can spot my mamu in white. 3rd is of my husband who ventured some way down, but the bottom is still not visible in the picture. He had to crouch low there to get a glimpse of the bottom. You can see a metal thing in the last picture, that was an old rusted pulley that ppl put in earlier days to pull up water from the hole.
These are the pics of one of the craters, there is another one alongside it, but that one is smaller and the sides have already caved it.

Meteores Are Huge!

No comments: